The current healthcare environment requires that your organization operationalize itself into a â€œHigh Value Care Organization,â€ or a healthcare organization that delivers the highest quality care and service to its patients/customers while reducing unnecessary costs. The demands of such change requires that all employees be aware of and contribute to the value agenda of the organizationâ€™s strategic plan. You have been hired or tasked by leadership to develop the strategic plan for how your organization transforms itself into a culture of Continuous Improvement. Your strategic plan will need to demonstrate how Lean (or any and all other improvement methodologies covered in the course) will act as the foundation and catalyst for optimizing value for the patient/customer you serve.
Strategic Decision Making in Healthcare Organizations is an example of a strategic plan provided in your course pack. The following strategic plan is provided as another example.
The specific strategic goals that your plan should be aligned around are:
- Advance our organization in the provision of high value patient care.
- Develop and optimize the performance of all employees, helping to position ourselves as the superior healthcare employer in the region.
- Ensure overall financial performance meets the needs of our operating and capital demands so to advance our Mission and Vision.
Your strategic plan can be presented in the form of an Executive Summary using PowerPoint. The following elements should be addressed:
- Business Case that includes problem and goal statement(s)
- Overview of Lean Thinking and/or any other improvement methods being considered
- Address why Lean and why now for your organization (burning platform)
- Assessment of organizationâ€™s current state related to three strategic goals
- Description of future (ideal) state
- Strategic roadmap (current state/future state)
- Define measures of success for three strategic goals
- Describe the key operational activities that will directly impact these three strategic goals (include timeline and any major milestones)
- Describe structure for tracking performance to plan
- Include resource requirements (staff, functional support departments, consulting, etc.)
- Identify challenges and barriers
- Detailed talking points should be embedded in the notes section of each slide.
- Make your slides visual.
- No limit on number of slides; however, please assume this presentation is for your organizationâ€™s senior leadership.